Above is chart of Pit Spoos. Over the last 2 trading weeks they have been contained to a 16 handle range.They cannot trade above 2169 or below 2153,regardless of what economic number has been released or central bank meeting or earnings.It is stuck.Summer doldrums? quite possibly or it is just waiting for payroll Number to see what impact it may have on Fed rate hike probabilities.Either way it stinks for trading.
GDP missed expectations by a large amount 3 standard deviations.Consumer spending was a touch below consensus but still a solid increase of 4.2%.This likely will cushion some of the blow from Weak GDP.The areas where GDP was disappointing was a big drop in Inventories( this most likely to be revised at next release) Government spending was down .9,first drop in 5 quarters.Nonresidential Fixed investment ,Business spending , was down again for the 3rd consecutive quarter.An ugly number
Dollar Reacted as you would expect and bonds have caught a bid.Spoos dipped but really don’t seem to care.Consumer spending Buffering the blow from Lower GDP it seems.Looks like the consumer will have to carry the load again
Overnight JPY vol has touched levels not seen since 2008 financial crisis.Should be a bumpy ride tonight!
* 28-Jul-2016 01:01:31 PM – ECB’S COEURE SAYS CENTRAL BANKERS SHOULD HOWEVER BE MINDFUL OF A POTENTIAL “ECONOMIC LOWER BOUND”, AT WHICH THE DETRIMENTAL EFFECTS OF LOW RATES ON THE BANKING SECTOR OUTWEIGH THEIR BENEFITS
* 28-Jul-2016 01:01:55 PM – ECB’S COEURE SAYS THERE CAN BE CUMULATIVE EFFECTS ON FINANCIAL INTERMEDIATION AND FINANCIAL STABILITY IF RATES REMAIN VERY LOW FOR A VERY LONG TIME
* 28-Jul-2016 01:02:24 PM – ECB’S COEURE SAYS THE ECB’S MONETARY POLICY MEASURES, INCLUDING THE DEPOSIT FACILITY RATE SET AT ITS CURRENT NEGATIVE LEVEL, ARE PROVING TO BE EFFECTIVE IN LIFTING INFLATION TOWARDS ITS MEDIUM-TERM OBJECTIVE
* 28-Jul-2016 01:03:11 PM – ECB’S COEURE SAYS IT IS DIFFICULT TO KNOW HOW LONG THESE LOW INTEREST RATES WILL PERSIST, BUT IT SEEMS POSSIBLE THAT THEY WILL BE LOW FOR QUITE SOME TIME.
* 28-Jul-2016 12:46:44 PM – BOJ, UNDER PRESSURE FROM JAPAN GOVERNMENT, CONSIDERING SPECIFIC EASING STEPS FOR FRIDAY DECISION – SOURCES
* 28-Jul-2016 12:46:44 PM – JAPAN MOF HAS PREPARED DRAFT STATEMENT TO RELEASE IN EVENT BOJ EASES POLICY – SOURCES
Under govt pressure, BOJ mulling specific steps for easing-sources – Reuters News
28-Jul-2016 12:51:23 PM
TOKYO, July 29 (Reuters) – The Bank of Japan, under pressure
from the government, is considering specific steps for expanding
monetary stimulus on Friday to address signs of weakness in
inflation, people familiar with its thinking said.
By timing its action with the government’s big fiscal
spending package, the central bank would aim to maximise the
boost of its measures on the world’s third-biggest economy,
struggling to escape decades of deflation, the sources said.
The Ministry of Finance is lobbying hard for the BOJ to ease
policy further and has prepared a statement it will publish in
case the central bank eases.
“We welcome the BOJ’s decision and will deploy all necessary
policy steps including a scheduled big stimulus package,” says a
draft statement seen by Reuters.
(Reporting by Leika Kihara, Minami Funakoshi, Takaya Yamaguchi
and Sumio Ito; Editing by William Mallard)
((firstname.lastname@example.org; +813-6441-1828; Reuters
(C) Thomson Reuters 2016. All rights reserved.The Thomson Reuters content received through this service is the intellectual property of Thomson Reuters or its third party suppliers. Republication or redistribution of content provided by Thomson Reuters is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters, except where permitted by the terms of the relevant Thomson Reuters service agreement. Neither Thomson Reuters nor its third party suppliers shall be liable for any errors, omissions or delays in content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. Thomson Reuters and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Thomson Reuters group of companies around the world.
Oil and weak biotech stocks weighing on Sentiment .Oil related stocks down .5% and IBB -.7% Spoos lower by a couple of handles.The front month price of CL is approaching the 200 D MA(40.73) this is measured on a continuation chart so it packs a little more punch than focusing on a certain months 200d MA.Just nothing bullish to say about oil.Offsetting the weakness in Biotech is FANG stocks which are all higher this morning.Trend in Risk is lower.
Waiting on 7 year auction results later this afternoon. This quite possibly hindering any type of up move in treasuries due to weak oil prices.Bank Of Japan tonight also may be keeping some players on the sidelines.No clear direction for bonds unless sideways is one.
Nat gas storage report missed expectations by 2 standard deviations to downside ,coming out at 17 vs f/c of 26.This is a surprisingly small build during the month of July ,nat gas sits higher by 174 ticks.
With Summer vacations in full swing ,Summer markets need some type of event risk to move out of sideways ranges.next friday payrolls and August 26th yellen speech are next on the calendar.