Plenty of spot nat Gas prices throughout the country,here is the price of the Boston/New England city gate.This is a proxy for East coat Demand.You can see there are a few days with no prices due to No change from prior close.Take a look at today prices it has jumped 50% from it last update on 12/12. This is indicative a big jump in Demand for one of the most populous parts of the country
Here is the graph of these prices. Very impressive move higher indeed.This will have a bigger impact on the front month prices then any worries about Early Jan Cold.Also Prices touched the highest in 21 Months,
Around 7:20 this morning Nat Gas spiked higher and continued to run.At one point higher by 7%!Accurate reason hard to come by, but speculation is that January Forecast have been revised colder,Talk about A harsh cold winter in China that may result in an uptick of LNG exports,Tomorrows storage number will be a massive 207
Watching mid day weather for next catalyst.
Spoos 4 handle range, Euro Stoxx Vix 2 year low, Spanish banks lower as a court rules against them in mortgage scandal, same old worries about Italian banks. In Europe Financial service sector -.86% banks -.6%. In fact 18-19 Stocks sectors are lower. Spain’s stock market Down.9% Italy-.7% Dax unchanged. Swedish central bank Extended QE by sek30 bln and said greater chance that rates will be cut than raised. Dollar is lower by 40 ticks but for no specific reason other than position squaring, holiday markets. Euro +40 and Yen also +40 ticks. Crude oil has a small bid but trading in a very narrow 33 tick ranges. Yesterday’s API storage numbers showed a bigger than consensus draw from Oil Supplies but that is not unexpected for this time of year. Base metals mixed copper +.4%, Zinc -.5% and Gold Up a touch. Very quiet again so far today. ECB QE ends today for the year as they too celebrate Holidays, it will pick up after the first of the year. German Yields are lower and Spain and Italy higher. Let’s see if we can get Dow 20K today.
Existing home sales and Oil numbers today.
Spoos have 5 handle range since 8:30 open ,overnight Currency vol down 29% For Yen due to post BOJ relief.1 week vol for Euro -6%,Pound -4%.Vix stands little changed at 11.5 as Expiration is tomorrow.The Push for Dow 20K ran out of steam at 19987,close but no cigar.
There is some trade in the Livestock complex as the bullish Environment has resulted in some overbought conditions in both front month hogs and Cattle.RSI for February Cattle at 73 equalling the highest in months.February lean hogs RSI stands at 79 is the highest in months!cattle on feed report,Quarterly Hogs report and Cold storage report all due Friday at 11:00.These are a big deal for the Cattle and Hogs similar to monthly Jobs report for Bonds and stocks.Quite possibly expecting a Bullish number.This is a rareity on Friday as Cattle reports are Normally released after the close.
European Stock Futures drifting higher into cash close.Bonds have been heavy all day blah
1) BOJ policy meeting overnight where rates and QE left unchanged Summary from Reuters “-BoJ’s Kuroda (Press Conference): Japanese economy will grow above it’s potential from now on; inflation expectations weakening; will adjust policy to maintain inf towards 2% tgt; continuing with easing most appropriate for achieving 2% tgt; not ruling out debt purchases in any maturity; doesn’t think Yen has weakened significantly – will debate yen impact at nxt meeting; LT JGB tgt not a cap or a floor – is ~0%; ETF purchases are necessary to achieve their 2% inflation tgt; not expecting yen weakness ahead
My take away “Will discuss yen at next meeting” it is getting too weak now. Economy improving but Inflation still slow to increase. NKY Closed higher by .5%, Yen lower by 64 tick’s futures and JGBs yields lower across the curve with the long end showing biggest declines down 6Bps.
2) German PPI turned positive on an M/M basis for the first time since June 2013.PPI increases are associated with “reflation trade” market needs to see if this is a blip or a trend. Regardless of the strong PPi Euro down 47 ticks, below last weeks lows and trading closer to 102 handle. In a Thin holiday market the path of least resistance is lower for Euro.1 week Vols lower but 1 month, capturing next ECB meeting have blipped higher. Yield spreads between Germany/USA also supporting Dollar. Next target for Euro 103.Bunds are steady volume in the complex has been lower compared to prior day for 4 days in a row. German Finance agency said Germany will not sell a 50 year bond in 2017.This has given Buxl a small lift.
3) Deutsche bank said it will be decreasing the size of its Derivatives book (per Bloomberg). No time frame given but any inexplicable move in prices will now be blamed on DB unwinding its Book.
Stronger dollar having an impact on all commodities with the exception of oil as markets leaning towards a possible hefty draw in today/tomorrows storage numbers. Yesterday’s string of terrorist attacks did nothing to dent the rally in stocks and we see that continuing today. There was some type of incident in Jordan overnight but again market has ignored it. GBP -65 ticks even with a retail sales number that beat expectations.
• No economic releases today
• No fed speakers till the New year
• Soybeans may finally be breaking out to downside trading at lowest levels in 3 weeks
• Average to above average temps predicted for end of month are weighing on nat gas
Here is a snapshot of U.S. Interest rates across the curve from 1 month to 30 year.Eric brought this up earlier today so I thought helpful if we had the benchmark rates as well.
Turkey said that Russian Ambassador and shooter have both died.Waiting to hear response from Putin.Jpy ,Bunds and bonds all caught a small bid in the aftermath of incident.Supposedly the shooter yelled things about interfering in Syria just rumors for now.Mayor of Ankara says attack directed at ruining Russia-Turkish relations.Spoos paid little attention to these headlines weakening a touch but that is it.
Wonder if trump will respond /Comment via twitter